PARISH (Details)

 Back

St. Joseph Parish, Pitra was inaugurated on 8th August 2021, during the silver jubilee year of the diocese, by Most Rev. Lumen Monteiro CSC DD, becoming the 24th parish. The Killa zone which was in Tuikarmaw parish, with five mondolis, was attached to Sacred Heart Parish, Bishramganj in September 2007 by Bishop Lumen. The area developed and the number of mondolis increased especially among the Molsom community. At present there are 18 mondolis in all. New areas have been added as a large part of Matabari block and a small portion of Kakraban block have become part of the parish. The Catholics belong to Jamatia, Molsom and Koloi tribes. The Don Bosco School at Pitra, which was established at Pitra in 2013, has grown to a Secondary school with students up to Class X. MSMHC sisters have been looking after the school from its inception. The Don Bosco School in Udaipur, run by the MSMHC sisters, also belongs to this parish.

 

 

 

About Us

The beginning of the Catholic faith in Tripura dates back many centuries. Fr. Ignatius Gomes, a Jesuit priest made the first reference to the Christians of Mariamnagar in Agartala when he visited them in 1683. Fr. P. Barbe, the Pastor of Chittagong, visited Tripura in 1843. Holy Cross pioneering missionaries Fr. Louis Augustine Verite and Fr. Beboit Adolphe Mercier visited Agartala in 1856 and .... Read More »

Quick Contact