PARISH (Details)

 Back

AMARPUR (QUASI PARISH)

Brief History: Six substations from Depacherra and six from Moharpara Parish together form the new Parish of Amarpur. The Parish was erected on 16/11/2014 by Bishop Lumen Monteiro C.S.C., and was handed over to the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales (M.S.F.S.) for administration. Fr. Pratap Kerketta, M.S.F.S., was installed as the first Parish Priest and resided in a house given by Mr. Bhoktisadan Jamatia. On 12/01/2016 the Priest's Residence foundation stone was blessed by Rev. Fr. George Panthanmakal, M.S.F.S., the then Provincial of the North East Province. In 2017, the Prayer Hall cum Fathers Residence was inaugurated at Burburia. The Sisters of Destitute (S.D.) opened their first Convent in the Diocese at Burburia in 2017. The Parish comprises of Jamatia, Reang and Molsom tribes.

 

Established: November 16, 2014
Patron: St. Joseph Vaz 
First Parish Priest: Fr. Pratap Kerketta, MSFS 

Assistant Priest: Fr. Mathew, MSFS
Address: St. Joseph Vaz Church
Gamakubari
Amarpur – S. Tripura

 

About Us

The beginning of the Catholic faith in Tripura dates back many centuries. Fr. Ignatius Gomes, a Jesuit priest made the first reference to the Christians of Mariamnagar in Agartala when he visited them in 1683. Fr. P. Barbe, the Pastor of Chittagong, visited Tripura in 1843. Holy Cross pioneering missionaries Fr. Louis Augustine Verite and Fr. Beboit Adolphe Mercier visited Agartala in 1856 and .... Read More »

Quick Contact