PARISH (Details)

 Back

ST. ANDRE PARISH, BODHJUNGNAGAR

Brief History: In 1985, Mr. Aghure Debbarma had contacted the Parish Priest of Mariamnagar, Fr. Jose Sarpathil C.S.C., who in turn took interest to see that their aspirations were met. An English medium School managed by a retired Government teacher, Mr. Shoshanko Debbarma, was but a humble beginning for the future Parish of Bodhjungnagar. 

From 1988, Fr. Isaac Kelamparambil, C.S.C. would make frequent visits to Bodhjungnagar and later stayed there. In 1989, the Fathers took over the School and started a Hostel for both Boys and Girls.

On 22nd March 1990, M.S.M.H.C. Sisters came to help this mission. Blessed Andre Parish was established on 9th May 1991 and Fr. Isaac K. became its first Parish Priest. The Sisters helped out in the School and the Girls Hostel. M.S.M.H.C. Sisters left the Parish in the year 2009 and S.A.B.S. Sisters arrived in Bodhjungnagar in 2011.  

In 2005, the Holy Cross Sisters arrived in Tripura and stayed in Boys’ Town and took care of the Boys there. Later in 2013, the Sisters shifted their Convent to Barakathal establishing a Convent School there.  

The Boys’ Town was started in 2001 with the generous help of benefactors by Fr. Robert Mathias, C.S.C. Now this is taken care of by Fathers from the Minor Seminary.  

 

Established 1991 
Patron St. Andre 
Parish Priest Fr. Binoy John, CSC
Assistant Priest: Fr. Sijo Joseph, CSC   
Address St. Andre Catholic Church 
KM.Hathai 
Bhagavanthakurpara 
Bodhjungnagar P.O. Agartala 
West Tripura - 799210 
Telephone (0381) 2907642/ 2865426

Institutions:

  • St. Andre Higher Secondary School 
    i) Andre Boys' Home (1992) 
    ii) Boys' Town (2001) 
    iii)Moreau Girls' Hostel 
    iv) Lagma Health Centre
  • Holy Cross Convent
  • ASHA (Association for Social and Human Advancement)
  • Holy Cross Media Ministry
  • SABS Convent

About Us

The beginning of the Catholic faith in Tripura dates back many centuries. Fr. Ignatius Gomes, a Jesuit priest made the first reference to the Christians of Mariamnagar in Agartala when he visited them in 1683. Fr. P. Barbe, the Pastor of Chittagong, visited Tripura in 1843. Holy Cross pioneering missionaries Fr. Louis Augustine Verite and Fr. Beboit Adolphe Mercier visited Agartala in 1856 and .... Read More »

Quick Contact